spacer.png

Countdown to OCWFED SEASON 19 MOVE CLAIM!

The countdown has finished!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this show, overall, is a great one to use to restate the value of werdz, as much as this point has been hammered into the ground over this weekend.

Just caught up with the show, and I am biased as I couldn't watch this live, but I feel that watching some of these segments without VC just sort of drained the air out of me, but there's subtlety to this, so I'll do some in depth critique.

I call this VIDEO SEGMENTS AND WHERE TO USE THEM

I think H2O/Tony carries on this tradition of 'Champion names the guy they're about to fight', and I feel like 'Oh shit it's Tony' would've got a big reaction on VC, so even though I did skip a lot of the video's dead spaces to read the text faster, I'm pretty alright with this, thought it could've been given a bit more aggressively edited so it snaps a bit more and doesn't read as a text RP copy-pasted into a video editor.[/Quote]

I'm going to try to comment on most of what you said in this post. Just want to say sorry if I don't get to all of it or misunderstand something. As I value discussion over argument. But I agree with the value of words in ocw. Not that Video is bad and it shouldn't be done. It's more about using video when a video is needed and using text when a video isn't needed. Everything has a place and just doing a video because you're afraid people won't see your content shouldn't be the reason to use it as there are plenty of people that do read the content. Instead of pushing more and more video encourage more and more reading.

As for the H20 / Tony segment, I'm not sure if it was Tony or H20 that put the video together but Harv does great Rps not all of them are 5 out of 5 but they usually are pretty good. Sadly his videos usually don't always do what is happening justice either due to pacing or video editing style. Not that Harvey is bad at editing but a lot of the time it falls into either things are going too slow or there is too much trying to happen. At least in my eyes harvey rps usually does better as an Rp since he already does a great job at giving context and detail that sometimes is lost when trying to rush it in video form.

• Mark Out! 4

OCW_emp_profileV2sig.png

CG/Wrex used the video format a little better. The lack of sound design did make it feel a bit dead behind the eyes at times, but I do like the extra angles they used, and the slightly snappier less 'trading monologues' writing style that got the video out the way a little quicker. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, I'm becoming less convinced by the 'blurred ring, cutouts talking in front of it' format, there are always neat ways to be creative. It takes work (and that links to what I think Nate said about burnout last thread), but yeah, a decent time.

Lately the Wrex segments have been really good. I'm not sure if its due the video work of Simsin or Just the content in the video. But Wrex is another one of those people that usually have pretty good RPs. I for one always loved reading a Wrex Rp even if most of the time it was wrex being depressed or talking about quitting. I will agree the lack of sound in the video can be a bit off-putting as video and sound are hand in hand. It's like watching a movie but having the wrong soundtrack playing it doesn't have the same impact. I don't mind different variations of cut outs as some people go the extra mile and some just want to get the cuts done quickly either due to not having proper tools or what. But depending on the video style the cuts don't bother me as much Considering I've seen worst from spider. But This was a good change up and use of visuals. But I feel it took a lot longer than just doing some cut outs so I don't see this being done by most because burn out is real. But all in all it was a good video with a good story and good pace.

• Mark Out! 2

OCW_emp_profileV2sig.png

I'm going to try to comment on most of what you said in this post. Just want to say sorry if I don't get to all of it or misunderstand something. As I value discussion over argument. But I agree with the value of words in ocw. Not that Video is bad and it shouldn't be done. It's more about using video when a video is needed and using text when a video isn't needed. Everything has a place and just doing a video because you're afraid people won't see your content shouldn't be the reason to use it as there are plenty of people that do read the content. Instead of pushing more and more video encourage more and more reading.

As for the H20 / Tony segment, I'm not sure if it was Tony or H20 that put the video together but Harv does great Rps not all of them are 5 out of 5 but they usually are pretty good. Sadly his videos usually don't always do what is happening justice either due to pacing or video editing style. Not that Harvey is bad at editing but a lot of the time it falls into either things are going too slow or there is too much trying to happen. At least in my eyes harvey rps usually does better as an Rp since he already does a great job at giving context and detail that sometimes is lost when trying to rush it in video form.

Um. A picture is worth 1000 words and there’s 30 pictures every second in a video.

That means that every second of video is worth 30000. That means that 1 minute of video is 1,800,000 words. That’s more words than every single hall of famer has written in ocw in their combined careers so… I think that speaks for itself.

Food for thought…

• Mark Out! 3

No.

Not that Video is bad and it shouldn't be done. It's more about using video when a video is needed and using text when a video isn't needed. Everything has a place and just doing a video because you're afraid people won't see your content shouldn't be the reason to use it as there are plenty of people that do read the content. Instead of pushing more and more video encourage more and more reading.

Yeah, completely, for me it's about the advantages of each format. Videos allow you focus on the visual aspect, maybe get some visual comedy going if that's your style, maybe something comes out of nowhere, or you're using video to illustrate a visual callout (like Marcus/Harris), or try and do something in editing you've not seen someone do much before. Then, obviously, the classic beatdown/chase, if it fits and isn't too long.

On the other hand, text allows for the big monologues, and for shitloads of information to be sent out and understood quickly. It also allows for some amazing descriptions, which I feel might be a lost art sometimes, you can set the scene and immerse the reader in the space the promo takes place, and that allows you to break the limits that videos may have placed on you. As a reader, I can read an entire promo built on duelling monologues in the space of time I can wait for one line of text to pass in a video.

Obviously, there's crossover, text can hold some great visual images, and a video can be a way to cut certain styles of promos to a captive audience, but yeah, a single image over a static background while we wait for the slowest person to finish reading the text with every paragraph isn't it for me. I wonder if that's the kind of stuff that makes people feel (and sometimes rightly so) that text isn't being noticed as much, because, if that's in style and people tolerate it, why not just copy and paste your text into Resolve over a static cutout that you can grab out the assets folder? I'm optimistic though, that format is quickly approaching its 'jump the shark' moment, if it hasn't passed already, and hopefully that inspires more writing or more varied videos.

• Mark Out! 3

The promos from TWC over the last 4-5 months or so have been quite good. From John going from a pretty box-standard written character when he and the other TWC NPCs first debuted to what we get most every week now is huge improvement.

It also helps to get actual representation from the other members, and that loud-mouth Jasmin Kaffee is absolutely contributing in a positive way.

They still feel like they're all kinda doing their own thing (Marcus with Harris, John with Marisa/Mac) but they remain connected through the written stuff. Hopefully with John's stuff in the rearview and the fact he just called out Sanctum in the Main Event, we'll be elaborating on the 4 members and continuing the upward trend.

Fuck John Carter and Marcus McMichaels. Unsure what Aisu sees in any of those bitch ass cowards.

• Mark Out! 4

POzHGqo.png

President and leading member of the Paul Pugh Fan Club. We love KidEgo

http://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/SlXlTioxkN913ZuFSU5VjOfJYwR0EjwCF5hBUFCurjw/http/ocwfed.tv/miscpics/Kass_event_badge_2020.png

I'm really into the TWC stuff at the moment. I reckon Carter's really coming into his own as a writer, if he improves the presentation side of things (primarily the grammar at this point, little bits of punctuation), he'll be rolling, and I'm really hoping for him to get a great moment for himself with this storyline and the looming threat of the FI briefcase. Marcus is becoming a very strong character too, he's come a long way since appearing as H2O's smurf account, and Jasmine is far more convincing for being part of them, feels like she's got a bit more drive than her face persona that we'd seen before.
  • Mark Out! 3

Even though I was a part of it, I am also very interested in this Maxx Edwards internal conflict. After building himself into a character we can all get behind this first major hurdle or "failure" sending him spiraling leaves him in a vulnerable spot.

Clearly not satisfied with having "potential" anymore. The very real self-doubt that can come up whenever you fall just short of such a huge accomplishment is relateable to say the least and obviously the dynamic between Maxx and Colin - who themselves have a history - is super fun to watch play out. Despite their similar overall trajectory and breakouts, to see Colin shift into even deeper rooted confidence and Maxx start to question himself.

Stay on the strong side Maxxy. Fuck those Cuntstianity weirdos.

• Mark Out! 4

POzHGqo.png

President and leading member of the Paul Pugh Fan Club. We love KidEgo

http://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/SlXlTioxkN913ZuFSU5VjOfJYwR0EjwCF5hBUFCurjw/http/ocwfed.tv/miscpics/Kass_event_badge_2020.png

Lately the Wrex segments have been really good. I'm not sure if its due the video work of Simsin or Just the content in the video. But Wrex is another one of those people that usually have pretty good RPs. I for one always loved reading a Wrex Rp even if most of the time it was wrex being depressed or talking about quitting. I will agree the lack of sound in the video can be a bit off-putting as video and sound are hand in hand. It's like watching a movie but having the wrong soundtrack playing it doesn't have the same impact. I don't mind different variations of cut outs as some people go the extra mile and some just want to get the cuts done quickly either due to not having proper tools or what. But depending on the video style the cuts don't bother me as much Considering I've seen worst from spider. But This was a good change up and use of visuals. But I feel it took a lot longer than just doing some cut outs so I don't see this being done by most because burn out is real. But all in all it was a good video with a good story and good pace.

At least for the CG / Wrex promo, I did all the editing on that, so any sound design issues or anything like that is on me. Wrex is just generally easy to work with and always puts up good work.

• Mark Out! 1

Christian Garcia:

1x North American Champion

Jasmin Kaffee:

1x World Women's Champion