TURMOIL 312 LIVE ON TWITCH - 7:05 PM EST ISH

The countdown has finished! WE ARE LIVE PAL - TWITCH.TV/OCWFED

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all i took from this is break fpr! You heard it here first craig said it's okay to break fpr. Lol

giphy.gif

ps keep up the good work chris.

Nooooooooo! :(:(:(:(:( I'm ruined now. Empress twisted my words and painted me in a bad light! Chris Greene says NO to breaking FPR! (but it is funny.)

PS Thanks for the kind words :o:)

• Mark Out! 5
Chris Greene | Shianne Lovelace | Harper LeRoux | Hifumi Mayoshi

Riot 590 - Up/Down Survey Results

https://imgur.com/a/hVSHsYZ

Most Referenced Text RP: Drago and Quartz (3 of 13 responses)

Highest Rated Match: Hito-Gui vs. Claudio Stardom (90% Thumbs Up)

Highest Rated Segment: Karmine / Blacksmith Tie (80% Thumbs Up)

Lowest Rated Match: Samsin Simsin vs. Marcus McMichaels (75% Thumbs Down)

Lowest Rated Segment: Marisa's Ladder! (47.4% Thumbs Down)

• Mark Out! 6

Solomon Caine, Harris Turner, and Roy Brown

1x CCW International Champion, as Solomon Caine

1x OCW Light Heavyweight Champion, as Solomon Caine

2nd Place, 2021 S-Cup Tournament, as Harris Turner

http://ocwfed.tv/miscpics/Kass_event_badge_2020.png

• Administrators
Riot 590 - Up/Down Survey Results

https://imgur.com/a/hVSHsYZ

Most Referenced Text RP: Drago and Quartz (3 of 13 responses)

Highest Rated Match: Hito-Gui vs. Claudio Stardom (90% Thumbs Up)

Highest Rated Segment: Karmine / Blacksmith Tie (80% Thumbs Up)

Lowest Rated Match: Samsin Simsin vs. Marcus McMichaels (75% Thumbs Down)

Lowest Rated Segment: Marisa's Ladder! (47.4% Thumbs Down)

Very interesting thanks fo the breakdown salami

spacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.png
 15-06, 18:20 Tiberius Dupree make him tap with brownie mix

"Booking Wrestling is the most thankless no-win position anyone could ever be in. When things go well it's the talent that makes it work. When they go badly, it's because the Booker doesn't know what he's doing." - Eric Bischoff

Jookie: what website do we upload to againi for got

Our Hero: uploadafraud.com

Jookie: fuck u boricua

"I'm like Smythe, except Good" - Matsuda

OCW works best when it’s a melting pot of different ideas and opinions coming together to create some cool ass shit. It’s at its worst when people are only invested in their own/their pals’ content." - Paul Pugh

"I'm 5,9" - Ry

"I'm sorry if this sounds mean but OCW shouldn't be allowed to vote" - Jake Allen

I feel like this show, overall, is a great one to use to restate the value of werdz, as much as this point has been hammered into the ground over this weekend.

Just caught up with the show, and I am biased as I couldn't watch this live, but I feel that watching some of these segments without VC just sort of drained the air out of me, but there's subtlety to this, so I'll do some in depth critique.

I call this VIDEO SEGMENTS AND WHERE TO USE THEM

I think H2O/Tony carries on this tradition of 'Champion names the guy they're about to fight', and I feel like 'Oh shit it's Tony' would've got a big reaction on VC, so even though I did skip a lot of the video's dead spaces to read the text faster, I'm pretty alright with this, thought it could've been given a bit more aggressively edited so it snaps a bit more and doesn't read as a text RP copy-pasted into a video editor.

CG/Wrex used the video format a little better. The lack of sound design did make it feel a bit dead behind the eyes at times, but I do like the extra angles they used, and the slightly snappier less 'trading monologues' writing style that got the video out the way a little quicker. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, I'm becoming less convinced by the 'blurred ring, cutouts talking in front of it' format, there are always neat ways to be creative. It takes work (and that links to what I think Nate said about burnout last thread), but yeah, a decent time.

Jared McGregor pulled me right back into the 'blurred ring, cutouts talking' format though, and that's a bit of a shame. I think this would be a far better text RP, because then we can save the full ring design (when that's done, this still had the Riot tron and whatnot) for a match and immediate see what this guy's about in ring. The reason why this definitely should've been a text RP, is because I think the content itself was good, just needed editing for a video format. The problem with that, however, is that it'd make the content shorter than the entrance, so you get this 'why did I watch an entrance for that' situation. This show was pretty strong on the text RP front, so I think this could've made a great addition to that, I just couldn't imagine watching this without being able to skip the dead periods.

KC/Chance. I was very ready to write this off when I saw that iconic blurred ring and cutout, but this used the format nicely. I really liked the cut to the black arena when KC did the bow and arrow motion, and it got me invested in what's happening between these two. My only complaint, I don't think Chance should've got up, this could probably have been split between two weeks, this week KC gets the upper hand and lays Chance out, next week Chance sees it coming (maybe in a different location) and chases KC off, twice the weeks of content for one week's worth of work.

Love Triangle Highlight Reel, great, loved the stylised video look, and this is exactly the sort of segment that this story needed, short, sweet, let's go.

Karmine. Ladies, gentlemen, all things in between, we have returned to the land of blurred rings and broken dreams. This was more justified, it's great to see Karmine's new look following his heel turn, the group chanting at him to postpone the promo was a really nice touch. This has the best text pacing tonight, it kept up with my reading pace without dragging too much. There is more movement than text here, and it strikes a great balance, and, again, that's justified as it's a totally new persona for a pre-existing character.

Marisa's Ladder. For me, this is my big 'should've been a text segment', because I will be straight with you, the John/Marisa/Mac story has, overall, been a success for me. It's had some great moments (the wedding segment at Lution was a great, if rough around the edges, twist, it would've been an awful call to end the story at that), and it's had some less good moments (I didn't dislike the shower thing, made sense to me, but I know that's controversial), but overall, good. I don't think this segment added anything as a video segment, however. The words themself? Tongue firmly in cheek, filled with innuendo, and very fun, however the delivery method where I was skipping dead periods because the pace of the video was so far off my own reading pace, much less fun, and Marisa is such a visual character, it's always a shame to be skimming a video with her involved. With two other highlight reels on this show hyping the match up, I think this is exactly what we have werdz for, it fleshes out a story and a character without taking up the time and, most importantly, effort a video takes to make.

Samsin/Wrex. This is hard to critique, as it comes after a match that has had enough said about it. Wasn't bad, was short enough to be a throwaway, I do wonder if the video format is preventing us from getting into the real meat of this story, but yeah, why not, this was fine.

C Note/Telos, at least the ring isn't blurred. That said, it was a great call to not use Telos' entrance and just get to the point. I do think this veered into 'duelling monologues' a bit too much for this format, so the editing could've, again, been snappier, but this will be a good feud, it's a nice way to announce it, so a step in the right direction, absolutely. Last note, show, don't tell, my pet hate is reading stage directions in a video promo. If you have stuff you have no way of animating, make it a text RP, but if you do want to do a video, get your sound design and keyframe animation on. Worst case, it's hilarious and notable in its own janky way, you won't get buried for a bad mic drop animation.

Reign of Derek. A step in the right direction! Yes, another 'stand in the ring while words appear', but the champion entrance was great to see, the cut on 'look what I have in my hand' is exactly my taste of jankily animated fun, and it didn't overstay its welcome. Solid stuff other than that one bit where the text escapes the text box, and I hope Derek has some good stories coming, it's his time to show what he's got.

Clark Effect, short, sweet, and Roy Brown has debuted a Saw gimmick, love to see it. Maybe it could've used a bit more motion in the Stacy segments, but that whole thing was just a vehicle for that interruption, so it served its purpose.

Jas/Ashley. It's just a short, simple conversation, and maybe the text format would've made this feel a bit inconsequential, so I'm alright with this. I feel like the video format better suits quicker-paced, more back-and-forth dialogue than the 'dueling monologues' style, so I liked this.

Harris/Marcus. This is how you start things with a video. Very quick, a really strong visual element, my only critique is I don't think Marcus should've been lurking around the corner. I feel that his character might have watched this on TV after the airing, but that's a tiny niggle that is just there for taste. This'll be a nice little story.

Blacksmith segment, I have never been happier to see a non-blurred arena. But nah, I really liked this, I think he could have sold the 'farewell' a bit better by including some match highlights, but he really got me going before Hito turned up. This feud is gonna be monstrous in every sense of the word, and I think that story development and the farewell tease has helped me look past the whole 'words in front of video' format to a decent extent.

Marisa/John/Mac highlight reel. I don't even care anymore, this has been a story and a half, so much aligned well to make this work, and I hope that as weeks go by without this story, people look more favourably on it. Yes, it could've been streamlined with a few segments either made shorter or cut, but each beat has been a fun time, and if a 'throwing shit at a wall until it sticks' approach gives us stuff like Nate's proposal, or the wedding segment, I'm alright with there being a few misses here and there.

With this story, I've said so many times that I won't be able to fully critique it until I see the whole picture, as, yeah, there are some times where this story could have fallen off the rails (insert the now beaten to death John Carter taking advantage of drunk girls meme here), but now we've got the full picture, I like it. The highlight reel reminded me of everything I like about this story, and I've gotta give it a lot of credit. The match was great, too, Nate losing because he just wanted to beat JC a little harder, Carter taking advantage of that, and Marisa ends up on top. Great stuff, I'm glad Carter was fine with showing as much arse as he has despite being a Future Investment holder (champions do not have to be as funny as Schindler's List to work!), and I hope Nate can get back on his feet, maybe he helps #Free Tre Golden.

I will probably put more thoughts here on the werdz and matches later unless this reply kills the thread.

• Mark Out! 13